Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hi Ho, Hi Ho

So I was leaving the house this morning and of course Aaron's the only one of the kids up - he usually ignores me of after the "Good Morning, Ma". But this morning, he asked me where I was going (work), and am I going to be home tonight (probably for lunch), so I'll see you tonight, right? (yes, okay). So as I'm going out the door, he says "So Long, Ma! I'll see you tonight." and then starts singing "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to work we go", complete with whistling which he's just learned to do and waving. He serenaded me all the way out the door. He also told me he was waving, just in case I missed that part, I guess. Believe me, I didn't miss a thing. Goodbyes are another of those social things he's never felt a need for, so another big deal for us. He has no clue how we're jumping for joy on the inside when he makes these big leaps - he'd be annoyed if we made a big deal about it. So we go along with it like it's business as usual. Wish we could acknowledge the change - maybe he'll eventually get to a point where he can accept and even look for our approval and excitement in his accomplishments. Who knows - he's certainly not following the textbooks in all he's accomplished this far.

He's also started calling Michele "chele" which is what we all call her, but she's been Winifred Michele for quite some time to him. These changes seem socially based to us in that it seems he's trying to conform to what other people are doing, not because we've worked to achieve that conformity in alot of these insignigicant (to us) things like the names he gives people, but because he's realizing the differences and trying to make changes to be "like everyone else". I'm sure all the experts and (I know all the) non-experts would totally disagree with the way we've dealt with Aaron all these years, but it's really gratifying to see him developing in a natural progression and making changes because he sees a difference and apparently has an understanding of some sort of need to conform and is comfortable making those changes. Michele said "I think I'm going to miss being Winifred Michele". There's that bittersweet in the growing up process - but we still rejoice in it. And he gave her a nickname of Curly Hair so maybe that will soften the blow. He seems to be working on nicknames for everyone. There's apparently a difference in his mind between nicknames and the alternate names he's given us for years. He's making changes so fast it's hard to keep up with him lately. So I'll keep posting here so I won't forget it all. I wish I'd had this when they were all little - it goes so fast and you lose so much in the busy-ness.

2 comments:

Genny said...

As I read this I was thinking how fond I am of that kid and how I felt so accepted because I had been given a name too -- Stella. Then, before I can even comment on this post, I find that "Stella" has been replaced with "Miss J." I can relate to Michele. I'll miss my first name.

By the way, you can tell Aaron that "Miss J" is still waiting for her picture drawn by him.

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's so exciting to hear about his advancements.