Saturday, October 6, 2007

Adventures in Plumbing

As you may know, I was going to have to do a little plumbing repair today. When I got into the wall, I found the reason. Our resident mouse had chewed a hole through the rubber connector that connects the pvc pipe coming from the sink drain to the old lead pipes inside the wall. I hate mice. We had one in FW once that ate our dishwasher though. At least this was cheaper than that. We'll be setting some traps or poison or something to deal with the culprit.




This was Aaron's answer to the leak - posted beside the sink.


The water ran straight into his room.



This is me and my spectacular plumbing skills at work. I didn't have to cut too big a hole in the wall thankfully.




Me again. And notice the lovely moldy wall from all the water pouring into it.

Yuck!!

My lovely new connector without a hole in it inside my 80 year old wall.


Moldy wall bleached, cleaned up and painted and the cabinet going back in. I rotated this picture, but when it came up here it was back sideways, and I'm too tired to try to fix it. Sorry, you'll have to rotate your head.


And the sink going back on.

That's all Michele got pictures of. Of course then I still had to hook all the hose back up and of course one of the supply lines leaked, so I had to go get a new one. That was after my first trip to three different hardware stores, because all the plumbing supplies were closed. It's Saturday people - when am I supposed to do my plumbing repairs? Thank goodness for Home Depot. Then the drain pipes leaked which really annoyed me. A little teflon tape seemed to solve that problem, so the sink is back in working order. We don't have to share our bathroom any more. Every joint and muscle in my body hurts. Can't quite figure that one out. What a fun day! But I'm thankful I got a little of the plumbing gene from my grandfather. I'm sure a plumber would have charged me a small fortune to do that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed! I don't have a mechanical inclination in my body, so you are amazing!

Genny said...

You have no idea how impressed I am that you can do this type of thing. My solution would be...Jeff!!! Has anybody seen Jeff? Wow. You are quite a woman. I'll be sending your new superhero shirt to you soon. It will be the one with the big "S" on the front.

Barb said...

I'll echo everyone else - I'm impressed. And Genny, my answer would be to press 9 on my cell and say "Genny, I need Jeff's help!" You're lucky you at least have a resident handyman.