Friday, October 19, 2007

Feliz Cumpleanos, Aaron

Today's the big day. Aaron turns 14! We are not at all ready for the party and he keeps adding things. Like 15 minutes ago (after I'd just returned from what I hoped was my last trip to Wal Mart for the day) - he goes to Michele and says, "I think my party needs a theme. How about rainbows... no, PINK, Think Pink..... I just made that up!." Oh dear! I think the package of balloons has 1 pink one in it. Anyway - party details will come later as they are apparently still in development.

On birthdays, it's hard not to look back on the days we've had with our kids - and boy what a journey it's been with Aaron. Life with special needs is an interesting one and one that affects the whole family. It's hard in so many ways, with the loss of dreams we have for our children and there's sadness for the hard things we know our kids will have to deal with in this world that puts so much value on conformity and being normal. It's also a life that bring special moments and an appreciation of all (or most of) the moments with not just the special ones, but the others too, (who are special too, in a different way). It adds a little more joy to all the things, both big and small, that all the kids accomplish. It's not a life I'd change. We (special needs parents) are all often asked, if we could change it, would we choose for our kids not to have whatever they have, which is a ridiculous question for so many reasons, but I think the answer for almost all of us would be that that is not even a thought we would ever even think - changing one part of them would make them totally different people - what makes your child your child is all wrapped up in who they are from the day they are born and how God created them and you start loving who they are before you ever even meet them and you continue to love who they become and if you are really blessed, they become amazing people who you really like too. And I am blessed - my kids amaze me every day and mostly they bring me nothing but joy. And Aaron brings a special joy all his own. He doesn't let me forget that joy, which could easily be swallowed up in the busy-ness of life, for very long. And there's something else Aaron has taught me over time. After reading many depressing books on the subject of austism, which mostly dealt with the fact that they will never really be able to communicate or understand people or emotions, blah, blah, blah...., we did finally get someone to confirm our suspicions. The first thought I remember thinking, was How will he ever know God, if he can't even know himself or anyone else? It took time, but Aaron taught me first, that all the books were rubbish and then with God's help, he helped me come out of the fog and realize that God created everyone with the capacity, and even the need, to know Him - why are any of us here but for that. Now I may never know how he is able to know God, but I know God can reach him even when we can't. That stays truth whether I can see or even understand how. And that has to be enough.

As you all know, Aaron keeps us constantly entertained and he makes our life very full. I'll keep recounting the events and you all can read them or skip them. I'll try to post the party details this weekend.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND FELIZ CUMPLEANOS, AARON!
WE LOVE YOU!!

And while I'm on the subject (well actually I'm off it, but I'm getting back on it), the goofy (changing them) question is no different that asking us, if we could pick a different kid than any of the ones we have, would we trade them off for another - that's slightly offensive if you think about it, although I guess there are people in the world that would jump at that opportunity. Oh well. Thank you, God - my kids are keepers.

And if you made it this far in my post, thank you for listening to the long-winded ramblings of this mother on her baby boy's special day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said...as I find some kleenex. Enjoy the party!

Genny said...

Paige, can you share your tissues? I hope Aaron had a wonderful party. Can't wait to hear more of the specific details.