Monday, October 8, 2007

Birthday requests

I've been trying to get Aaron to give me some ideas for his birthday. He's kept saying, "I don't know." (Notice the proper use of pronouns.) Finally as I was leaving the house this morning, he followed me out and said, "Maybe you could just get me something that you think I might like for my birthday." And then he reminded me of a couple of games he'd been looking to buy on the internet just in case I didn't get his hint. How far we've come from the last minute crazy lists of years gone by. I'll never forget the year of the reptile. What was it Genny - something like 5 days or so until his birthday, maybe less - and he gave me this list:

  • A T-Rex blanket
  • A stuffed stegasaurus
  • A stuffed narwal (I know, not a reptile, but close enough)
  • A brontosaurus pillow
  • A comodo dragon that says, "Hey, there's a slug on my tail!"
There were a few more, but I've forgotten them now.
Genny and I were trying to figure out how to come up with at least some of these and of course none of them were available, so I managed to make the blanket, the stegasaurus, and the pillow with Genny's help and sewing machine. I found what I hoped might pass for a narwal, but of course he knew the difference and immediately identified it as an angler fish. Can't get much past him. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever gotten anything past him. We tried the come up with some way to approximate the talking comodo dragon but of course the zoo had sold it's last comodo dragon after closing that exhibit. He seemed pretty satisfied with our efforts at least. I think that will go down as the craziest birthday list of all time. You can't say the kid's not interesting. I think this year's requests will be easier to fill. We'll see. And hi Genny and Paige - you girls and me seem to be the only ones left in blogging land - thought I'd note that. I hope the rest of you are well. I'm actually sick now, but I'd rather do this than work. Guess I'd better try to accomplish something though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron sure is making strides these days! And, yes, we are the only ones in blogland, but I can't leave it now, it's like therapy, only cheaper!

Genny said...

Oh, yes...I remember that birthday well. It was fun in a "crazy, oh-no!, how are we ever going to fill this list?" kind of way. Isn't it great to look back on those memories? I miss those days!!! (the days when you lived MUCH closer to me and we could do things like that.)

Genny said...

Wait...I forgot to say one thing.

I agree with Paige. This is much cheaper than therapy. I'm addicted. I admit it and I don't care.

Barb said...

Hey! I'm still in blogland, just can't visit on the weekends due to not making enough money to afford internet. But I posted two posts last week - that's a lot for me since I've been back from Scotland!