Friday, December 14, 2007

Happy Birthday, Michael!

19 Years!! I know it's sounds so repetitive and cliche, but where does the time go? And it also makes me feel so old to have a 19 year old child. And I didn't start that early on the baby thing, so actually, I really am old - depressing! But I digress (most of the time). This is supposed to be about Michael. (I just typed Aaron and Michele before I finally got Michael down.) Sorry Michael, it really is supposed to be all about you, at least on this post on this day.

What can I say about Michael, but that he's amazed me from the day he was born - sometimes in an overwhelming, "what am I supposed to do with this kid" kind of a way, but more and more as he grew older, in a "Wow - what a great kid" kind of a way. He's wanted for many years now to serve God and please him in the things he does, and I found that because of that, I didn't have to worry a lot about whether he was making good choices or doing things that I found pleasing. I know he's not perfect, but he works hard at trying to do the right thing. I'm very proud of the person he's becoming. He's working his way through college, working a full time job and a few part time jobs and doing an amazing job of staying ahead in all his classes. I don't think I did near as well at that my first semester of college. Anyway, most of you already know all about everything he's doing, so I won't go on about it, but to repeat how very proud I am of him and how thankful I am that we've had the privilege of playing a part in the person he's growing into. What a gift he's been to us.

I know I probably sound really sappy about my kids, but I do feel so blessed in the children God has allowed us a part in raising. They really do give me very little to worry about and mostly lots of joyful moments. And I know better than to take much, if any, credit for the way they are turning out. I just keep thanking God for playing a bigger part in their lives than I could be able to handle right. Most of what is good in them is because of Him. So I thank Him again on this anniversary of my firstborn's first day - for my first amazing child - and for His help in guiding all of their lives.

Happy 19th! We love you, Michael!!!

And I know I said I was going to try to keep up my blogging better, and except for my boys' birthdays, I'd have posted very little here lately, but I really do have lots of great pictures and stuff to post from the last weeks. I'll try to get that done over the holidays, I hope! And if life stays insane, then Michele has a birthday in April, and I guess I'll be back then.

4 comments:

Kaitlin and Katie said...

This is such a sweet post!!

Thank you so much for letting me hang out with your family tonight, I had a really great time!

Melissa said...

You're welcome, Katie. It was nice to just sit and spend some time with him. He's so busy lately we don't see much of him even when we're here. Thanks for planning what will surely be a much more exciting party for the Dec. birthday bunch.

Genny said...

Welcome back. And, I'm sorry, but Michele's birthday is way too long to get another post, so you'll simply have to find the time before then.

And, no, you shouldn't take credit for Michael, but I think you probably had a little to do with his "incredible-ness."

Happy Birthday, Michael!

Barb said...

Glad to have you back in blogger-land, Melissa, even if it does take one of your kid's birthdays to get you here. I agree with Genny, though, April is too long to wait for another post!